I know this sounds weird but it is easy to make and very tasty! Especially if you like pizza, you'll love this dish. Also a great way for kids who love pizza to get some veggies in depending on the pasta you use (use veggie pastas for some extra nutrition).
Makes for excellent leftovers and it freezes well too. Takes about 30 to 40 minutes to make.
- 1 lb ground venison meat (can also use beef)
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 1.5 to 2 cups spaghetti sauce (I use Presto Chunky Garden)
- 1 package (8 oz) of spiral or cavatappi pasta, cooked and drained (I like to use Al Dente Chickpea and Turmeric Pasta, Al Dente Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Pasta, or Barilla Veggie Rotini).
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (16 oz bag)
- Sliced Pepperoni (5 oz bag)
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Garlic Powder (about 1 tbsp)
- Boil a pot of water and cook noodles as package directs and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whiles noodles boil, cook venison and onion in a skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Season venison with Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Drain the noodles when they are done then put back into the pot. Once meat is done, drain and add to the pot of noodles.
- Stir in pasta sauce (I only used 1.5 cups but if you like sauce you may want to use more) and mix together with pasta and meat. Add some more Italian seasoning if desired. I also like to quarter several slices of pepperoni and incorporate into the mix.
- Transfer to greased 13x9 in baking dish. Sprinkle some cheese on the top so it barely covers surface. Arrange pepperoni on top (as much as you'd like, I used the whole package). Then add more cheese to where it covers pepperoni.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through, uncovered.
- Let cool for a couple minutes before eating.
Let me know your thoughts about this recipe!