This vegetarian burger is the closest recipe I have tried with so far that kinda replicates meat. The taste and texture are different than your typical beef burger but it is delicious and so much more healthier for you. Please give it a try!
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup wheat bread crumbs
- minced red onion (about 1/8 of a cup or 2 tablespoons)
- 1 large clove minced garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional
- chipotle seasoning (to taste)
- ranch dressing (I use sour cream and the ranch dips mix)
- mixed greens (like spinach, kale, chard, etc)
- whole wheat hamburger buns
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan (add butter here if you want some added taste). Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- While quinoa is cooking, mash the beans with a fork until your desired paste-like consistancy. I like to leave chunks of beans but you can make it smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix with your hands the bean paste, quinoa, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, chipotle seasoning, salt, chia seeds, and egg until the mixture is blended/sticky and holds together.
- Form the mixture into patties.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and cook the patties until heated through and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Side notes: You can also put these patties in the oven on 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes or you can grill them instead of frying them.
- Once the patties are done then make your sandwich how you like. I use cheddar cheese, then the greens, and lather on the ranch in between a wheat hamburger bun.
Let me know what you think and what condiments/toppings you used on yours!