Hands down my favorite soup to eat and make! There are a lot of variations you can do with this soup since you don't have to follow this recipe to a T for it to taste good and you can choose what veggies and types of pastas you like. My favorite is with the al dente chickpea and turmeric pasta. If you are on a low carb diet then this soup is still delicious without any noodles too.
Also a favorite when sick since it not only tastes good, but gives your body the nutrients it needs. So here is my version...
Ingredients: 1.5 - 2 lbs chicken breast and thighs, 6-8 cups water, 1 yellow or sweet onion diced, 3-4 celery sticks sliced, 2-3 carrots sliced, 1 bay leaf (optional), 2 cups of pasta, salt/pepper to taste, 2 tsp marjoram,4-6 chicken bouillon cubes, 1 cup green onions chopped (optional)
- In large pot add water, bouillon cubes, and chicken. Boil the chicken until cooked through, usually about 20 minutes or less.
- while chicken boils, cut up all the veggies.
- once chicken is cooked, take out of pot and set aside on plate. Keep water (now broth) boiling.
- Add all the veggies and spices into pot and boil until celery and carrots are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Shred the chicken once it's cool enough to touch while the veggies are cooking.
- Once veggies are tender, put pasta into pot and boil according to pasta's instructions (al dente's pastas only takes 3 minutes)
- Once pasta is done, add the shredded chicken to the pot and mix well.
And there you have it. Some other veggies I have used that I like: zucchini, squash, peas, corn. I've also added some white beans to get a little more protein. Wheat egg noodles, al dente's sweet potato lentil pasta, al dente's chickpea turmeric pasta, regular egg noodles....are all good options for pastas.
If you don't want to take the hour (or longer) it takes to make this soup, check out our Chicken noodle soup mix in our shop. This soup also goes well with the cornbread and ale beer bread mix in our shop too.
Let me know your variation of chicken noodle soup!